Monday, September 28, 2015

the catcher in the rye

Crop top: Asos; Skirt: LN Family; Shoes: Steve Madden; Necklaces: Jennifer Zeuner; Bracelets: Vita Fede; Sunglasses: YSL

This past weekend, and pretty much every other weekend when I'm not traveling, I hop on the C train to Central Park to find a quiet spot to read. Granted, this has been my MO for most of my life. Simply put: I love to read outside. Just ask my parents. I would pace around our backyard with a book, making laps around the lawn, occasionally popping my head up if our dog, Bobo, happened to be following too closely next to me. 

There's something about the fresh air, the buzzing of people passing by waltzing in and out of your book's narrative and the off chance that someone sitting on the bench nearby has read that book as well and wants to know what you think about chapter 21 -- for me, it makes the story that much more tangible, almost to the point, when I think about certain books I've read, I also recall where I was when I was reading it. What the temperature was like? What was going on around me at the time? Was I lying on cool grass or lounging on a back porch swing?

This gets doubly interesting, (at least for me anyway), when I get to reread old favorites of mine that are set in New York, actually here in New York. Most recently, I've started thumbing through The Catcher in the Rye again, the last time being in high school, like most other folks. And in a way, it's a weird déjà vu feeling to be reading it in Central Park. On one hand, I feel that much more connected to the book's events given that I'm actually sitting next to the very pond that Holden refers to when he wonders about the ducks in the winter and where they go when the water freezes over. And on the other hand, I can still picture Ms. Sweeney's freshman English classroom at Galena High School, where I first read the book. 

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense (and it's fine if it doesn't), but it just struck me as both odd and kind of amazing that two parts of my life could come full circle like that. So I just wanted to share -- perhaps you associate time and place to certain books you've read as well?

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love your cute floral skirt!

    xx Mira

    www.glamdevils.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look stunning! The skirt is very pretty.

    xx, http://www.girlswearblack.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the floral skirt... you are looking beautiful...

    www.stylingthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the floral skirt... you are looking beautiful...

    www.stylingthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing skirt, love it!!!
    www.sweetmona.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous skirt!
    the catcher in the rye is such a good novel!
    xx
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful outfit! Understanding your feelings and planning to reread "Catcher in there rye" soon :)

    mynameiskristina blog
    // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg this skirt is GORGEOUS!! I totally know what you mean when re-reading and this time around you feel more connected. This happens to me when I re-read some of my high school summer reading classics.

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loove this outfit, that skirt rocks

    http://luxurysmoland.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  10. this SKIRT! Omg so beautiful!!! I LOVE LOVE the whole look!

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your nail polish in this and your last several posts -- can you share the color? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an elegant skirt! I'm totally obsessing over long, slightly fuller skirts lately.

    Shae @ Current Habits

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look absolutely gorgeous in this feminine and enchanting outfit!

    http://lartoffashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look stunning in that skirt, suits you very well

    Agnes x

    http://www.blvckbee.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. so nice:]]]



    www.live-style20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning! I'm obsessed with your skirt. It's fabulous!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also associate time and places with books that I have read. I love to read as well and like you, I have gone back and reread some books that I read when I was younger as well. I like to see if my perspective when I reread the book is different now from when I was younger. It almost always is. I love your skirt in these photos. It looks great styled with the crop top.

    Kathy
    http://www.glamsimplified.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so beautiful!! Love your skirt!!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  19. fantastic skirt :*

    http://landing-in-fashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. That skirt is lovely! It makes me think of 17th century dresses, so beautiful!
    xx Daniela / Fashion Shower Blog

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO LOVE this! That skirt is so amazing. I don't think you could feel anything but pretty in it. And of course you have to twirl! ;)

    www.everydaystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this skirt on pinterest 2 months ago and have SCOURED the internet, Toronto's Yorkdale mall and Orfus road outlets and some small boutiques trying to find one like it. It is definitely one of a kind, and I know it is just a skirt, but I can't stop thinking about it! Do you know where it still might be available? Or are you perhaps done with it and ready to second hand it off to a very willing buyer :)?

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics